dinki

Saturday, September 02, 2006

A year ago in America pt.2



...Breaker`s Mansion, New Port, Rhode Island, accompanied by charming young gentleman named Andy...

That was the last day of my East Coast Tour, also the last day in U.S. The Mansion was nice, I was suprised though, because it was considered almost ancient... I forgot about relatively short history of USA. With all its beauty this place was too lifeless for me. I liked Boston more. I even cried there.



Somebody wrote this about the place that made me cry:

"I wasn't expecting to go to the Holocaust Memorial while I was in Boston, but when we walked the Freedom Trail, it was right off the path. It is truly one of the most remarkable memorials I have ever seen - and I've been to many of them. It is very tastefully done.It tells, in survivors' own words, of the horrors that were in the death camps.
On the six glass towers (representing the six Nazi death camps) registration numbers of all who entered are etched into the glass. It is unnerving to see how many there are. The Nazis intended to wipe out the Jewish population (along with several others that were considered 'sub-human'), and they murdered over half of them. I'm glad to see that today there is at least something that reminds us of the ills that lurk in this world. I hope it teaches us to stay on our toes and not let ANYTHING like this happen again."

I get the shivers when I think about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home